Friday, March 18, 2011

Isn't that Sweet?

This is our sweet, sweet, sweet boy, Grady.
Grady has a sweet smile.
Grady has sweet dimples.
Grady has sweet blue eyes.
Grady says sweet things.
Grady has a sweet heart.
Grady has a sweet soul.
Grady even has sweet, long, red hair.
Grady's pancreas, however, ain't so sweet.
And Grady's sweet insides, cannot handle sweets very well.

See where I'm going with this?

Yes, just a little more than a week shy of his 5th Birthday, Grady has been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

How did this happen?
Well, when he was sick earlier this month, I took him to see the doctor.
While we were there we decided to go ahead and get some routine blood work done to prepare for his 5 yr check up.
And while she was writing the orders, I asked for an A1C, to check for long range sugar levels.
She asked why?
I said he just had not been himself lately and had been having some urination issues and drinking quite a bit.
She said it would be no problem and gave me the paper work.
Well, last Friday, we tried to take him, but the little bugger snuck a granola bar and that ruined the fasting.
We were going to go this Monday, but I was so sick, I could not get out of bed.
So, Tuesday we went.
Wednesday morning I got a call from the Doctors office which ended up being doubly good because he also has the flu!!!!!!
His A16 is 6.6 (that is high and = diabetes)
We even ended up in the hospital for the rest of the afternoon getting fluids.
MeMe arrived Wednesday evening and Thursday morning we were on our way to a 9:30EST appointment with a Pediatric Endocrinologist in Tallahassee.
By 10:00am he had already had his first shot of insulin.
And only 24 hours later, he is apparently a pro.
Gave him a shot a few minutes ago and he turned and looked at me and said, "I didn't even cry!"

No Grady, but Mommy wants to.

Currently, there is no cure.

Insulin is the only current treatment and it is for life.

We are doing more research and will look into studies.

Sweet, huh?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet sweet Grady. You have something in common with your grandfather and me. We all have diabetes . You are not alone. If someday you are angry or sad because you can't have sugar like others. Remember Aunt Sandy and grandpa. We both love you sweet Grady and we will help you through this hard time.
I love you,
Aunt Sandy
:)