Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bye, Bye Bear?

As some of you may know, Todd Jr has been suffering for MONTHS now with a perpetual snotty nose.
And I don't mean just a little runny...
It has been horrible.

The Doctor has tried Nasonex and Singulair... neither of which put the slightest dent in the sinus flow.
So, yesterday after Grady, Grant and I picked up Todd Jr from school, we headed to see the allergist.

They had informed me that it could take up to two hours for the testing.
Luckily, Todd remembered to bring in his homework...
and the little boys found things to entertain themselves...

Like playing with the blinds...

And checking out the toys in the room.

Finally, the nurse came in to do the allergy test.
It is really interesting.
They load this little contraption with several different allergens.
Next they grind the little teeth on the contraption into the skin on your back.
The you wait 20 minutes to see what happens.
Sounds like a recipe to me.

This is right after they put all the stuff on his back.

He was so patient and good.
This is about 10 minutes in.
Looks like something is happening.
A closeup of the action!

After 20 minutes and quick clean up of his back an answer awaited us.

Wait for it.

DUST MITES!!!!!!!

Dust mites are everywhere!
On you.
In your House.
On your Furniture.
They love Carpet.
Your Mattress.
Your Dog.
Your Pillow.
Your Brothers.
Your Bear.
Say WHAT?
 I have to be honest, I actually cried.
Todd Jr has had this bear since before birth.
What to do, What to do.

Bear has been greatly loved.

And as Dat Dat pointed out last night, Bear was actually a little spot of laughter during a very dark time.
Oddly enough this was exactly what had popped into my head when the tears started coming.

When I was in the hospital, just after Esme was born, MeMe and Foe Foe brought Todd Jr., with Bear in tow, up to the hospital to see us.
Well, at one point, everyone had  gone down to the NICU to see Esme, and Foe Foe, Todd Jr and myself were in the room waiting for them to come back and Foe Foe noticed that there was a string coming from the end of Bear's nose.

I know it is hard to make out, but there is still a bit of it there.
Well, Foe Foe pulled out some nail clippers, I think, and took the string off.
Ummmm, Bad Move Foe Foe!!!!
Todd Jr., who was 2 1/2 at the time FREAKED OUT!
Honestly, he believed Bear had been mortally wounded.
I gotta admit, it was HYSTERICAL.

So, what will happen to Bear now?
Ultimately, I don't know.
First though, he will get a bath.
My football playing, "Demon Cougar" tough 9 year old brought me his Bear this morning and said, "Here Mom, he needs a bath."
Next, the Dr. recommended the freezer.
Yes, the freezer.. that is if he makes it out of the washing machine and dryer.

As for everything else.
There are prescriptions.
His pillows, mattress and box spring have to be completely encased in a hypoallergenic cover.
No books.
Everything in his closet that is not being used has to be out.
And of course, we will have to dust... very, very often.
By the way, that reminds me, I have to go clean his baseboards.
Anyone want to help?
Didn't think so.

No comments: